Saturday, April 12, 2008

Audio Networking and Archives

Wow, another vast frontier to be explored. I had no idea those music networking sites existed and I'm interested in trying them all, but a bit wary about downloading programs onto my computer, especially free ones that rely on advertisers.

I found Pandora especially appealing. Because of its connection with the music genome project, the site could analyze the artists I chose, pick stylistic elements out of their work and suggest similar songs. I love an intuitive program that learns to anticipate what I'll like.

The Internet Archive is a bit overwhelming, but fun to browse around. I doubt you'd be able to find much here for patrons unless they are looking for something very old or low-budget. Youtube is a better place to search for videos.

Absolute Sound Effects might be helpful for bloggers or audio/video makers. I find the design a bit outdated and the pop-up ads very annoying, but its a resource that patrons might need, nonetheless.

Gutenberg Audio Books are handy for patrons who need sound recordings of older books and documents that we might not have available in our system.

Mango Languages is one of those sites that teases you with free lessons and then asks you to subscribe if you want to be a "serious student." Still, a nice way to explore another language if you're not ready to commit.

The problem with many of these sites in the library is that we don't have sound on many of our computers and we don't lend out headphones. Oftentimes, we can only refer the sites to patrons who have access at home.

No comments: